The first service of the Church of Christ among African Americans was conducted on October 7, 1947. Services were held in the home of Evangelist and Mrs. Brown at 14 Herman Street. Those present were five of their ten children, two nephews (Alvord and John Taggart), Bro. Coaster Sullivan and Sis. Willie Williams.
In May of 1948, a tent meeting was conducted on the corner of Ford St. and Waverly Place. Minister Brown preached for two months while John Taggart led the singing, but with no visible results. After the meeting, the church moved back into the Brown’s home. This small group remained there for a year, and then moved to 14 Vienna St. Later in 1948, Bro. Cleveland Dunwoody, Jr. became the first convert of the mission of Evangelist Brown in the Northeast Misson.
In June of 1962, under the leadership of Evangelist Edgar D. Brown, the first service of the Northside Church of Christ was held in the YMCA on Gibbs St.Those in attendance were Minister and Mrs. Brown and their children, Wilson and Centra Dicker and two of their four children, Coaster Sullivan, Theodore Harley, Joseph H. Brown, and Alice Brown Williams.
In 1963, a building was purchased for worship at 94 Central Park in which the congregation outgrew in three years. In 1966, the building at Elmira & Grant St. was purchased by the City of Rochester for the Upper Falls Urban Renewal project. In 1976 another building at 8 Ernst St. was purchased the congregation worshipped there until purchasing another building on Jay Street.
In 1980, Evangelist Wilson Dicker, along with his wife Centra and family, moved back to Rochester to become the pulpit minister of the Northside Church of Christ.
In 1982, Minister Edgar D. Brown, James B. White, Cecil McClary, Sr., and Charles E. McNeal were ordained as elders.
On April 12, 1984, Evangelist Edgar D. Brown was called from labor to reward, and November 5, 1995, the Northeast legacy was left when his wife, Sis. Candaisy Brown, joined her husband in rest.
On February 24, 2003 Dr. Wilson Dicker was called from labor to reward but the work of the Lord still continues as we forge ahead working to glorify His kingdom. On December 27, 2006 Sister Centra Dicker joined her husband in rest.